Growing in the corner of next doors front garden is an old forsythia bush. It had got to the stage where some of it was almost blocking the grass verge which is the nearest we have to a public footpath so I asked permission to chop it back somewhat.
While I was disposing of the branches I noticed many of the smaller twigs were covered with nodules. A search found that these are Forsythia Stem Galls, probably caused by the bacterium Pseudomonas savastanoi.
It seems a long while since I tried a serious macro using stacked photos so I got out the Heath Robinson effort I built a few years ago. This consists of a stripped down PC DVD player and an Arduino Nano. The Arduino drives the small stepper motor in the DVD player which moves the item being photographed a tiny distance further away from the camera at each pulse. At the same time it tells the camera to take a photo once any vibration has settled down.
The Canon 350D was fitted with a 70-200mm zoom lens with a Raynox DCR-250 macro lens added. As well as natural light an LED ring flash was used on continuous light. Each photo has a very small depth of field:
72 photos were taken, each with the gall a tiny fraction further away from the lens so each had a different part in focus. Finally I used CombineZP which stacks together the in focus bits from each photo. The idea is to end up with one photo with all the subject in focus:
This is the best result I have ever had using CombineZP so am well chuffed, worth waiting over 20 minutes of processing time to get the finished photo.
January 20, 2018 - Share
14 hours ago