Glorious day yesterday, lots of Sunshine with a pleasant breeze.
Maximum temperature 21.5C
To pass time while I was waiting to go for an ultrasound scan I looked through the latest catalogue from CJ Wildlife. I thought about buying a new insect house to replace one I bought a few years ago but decided to look into building one myself. I gathered a few materials and then had another look at the old one. Though it had deteriorated it wasn't a very big job to repair it. The sides were warped. A couple of L angle brackets soon fixed that. Part of the roof had rotted away. That was quickly replaced and covered with some damp proof barrier to make it more waterproof.
I found a new place to mount it where I could easily keep an eye on any activity as it had previously been mounted out of the way in a too sheltered spot:
The only change I made was to the bottom section which was originally just an empty space with a 'holy' door to close it off. I chopped short lengths of old bamboo and filled the space with those but only to half the depth..
It didn't look as though it had ever been used by bees or lacewings, just the occasional spider, so it will be interesting to see whether a new position will attract any home hunters.
In a Rut of Rubbishness
11 hours ago